RefWorks is a Web-based bibliography and citation manager that allows you to create your own personal database by importing references from text files or directly exporting citations from online databases into RefWorks.
You can use these references in writing papers and automatically compile your bibliography in any major citation style format.
Setting up your RefWorks Account
In order to use RefWorks, you must create a personal account with your own login and password while on campus.
Once you set up your login and password on campus (or using the VMware View Client) you can access your RefWorks account from anywhere.
To create your personal account, go to:
2) You should see a message asking "New to RefWorks?" Select "Sign up for an Individual Account."
3) Create a login and password, then click on Register to open and begin using the program.
To access your RefWorks account after initial RefWorks account setup:
1) Go to a RefWorks link within the RMU Library web site.
(Example: Select Find Articles-->Select Databases A-Z-->Go to "R"-->Click on RefWorks
2) If accessing from off campus, you will be prompted for your Sentry username and password. Enter it. The RefWorks page should display. Now, log into your personal RefWorks account you set up previously.
1) Go to http://www.refworks.com.
2) If you are on campus, you will simply be prompted for your RefWorks login and password.
If you are off campus, you will be prompted to enter the RMU RefWorks Group Code (which you can locate in your RefWorks registration confirmation email message) as well as your personal RefWorks login and password.
General instructions for importing or exporting citations using RefWorks
1) Most of the major databases the library subscribes to have an option to export references/citations directly to RefWorks. It is easier to export citations directly from these databases than to import citations into RefWorks from desktop files, etc. In most cases, it is helpful if you enter the database first, search, select citations and click "Export to RefWorks," . Then, follow any prompts to open your RefWorks account.
2) In most cases, you must allow pop ups on your web browser (deactivate the pop up blocker in Internet Explorer or Firefox) to export to RefWorks.
3) If you see "security certificate" errors during the export process, just click through them to continue. This may happen if you are off campus because you are accessing RefWorks through the RMU proxy server.
4) You may want to save book, media or other citations from ROBCAT in your RefWorks account. The easiest way to do this is to simply go into your RefWorks account, select "Search Catalog," choose "Robert Morris University" and enter search terms.
For further information about using RefWorks, consult the following RefWorks 2.0 Tutorials
Other Bibliographic and Citation Management Tools or Software
There are other citation management tools that may better suit your needs. For a list of other such tools and a helpful comparison chart, see: