Lori A. Carnvale, M.S., C.E.B.S.
Director, Employee Benefits & Payroll (Employee Benefits and Payroll)
412-397-6272 phone (M)
Revere Center 300
- Master of Science, Organization Studies, Robert Morris University, 2010
- Certificate, Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS), IFEBP and Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, 2006
- Bachelor of Science in Bus Admin, Administrative Management, Robert Morris University, 1996
- DOFASCO TUBULAR PRODUCTS CORPORATION, Pittsburgh, PA 2003 - 2006
Responsible for implementing, coordinating and administering policies and programs covering all health and welfare benefit plans, and the 401(k) savings plans for 1,123 bargaining and non-bargaining employees and 952 retirees in the United States operation. Developed policies and procedures, and provided counsel to manager and business unit human resources personnel on these programs. Listened and responded to employee and retiree problems, and developed recommendations for corrective actions. Provided assistance and support in special projects related to employee benefits.
* Implemented catch-up contributions procedures ensuring bargaining and non-bargaining employees were properly handled with the least amount of administrative involvement.
* Established and maintained company Intranet site for employee benefits.
* Developed communications for medical coverage design changes to ensure subscriber understanding.
* Coordinated retiree medical premium payment conversion to third-party administrator with minimal disruption.
* Developed procedures to accurately record retiree life insurance reducing exposure to Company on non-reported volume and ensured conversion notices were mailed in a timely manner.
* Identified and implemented process to gain data on pensioners to eliminate unnecessary company medical and life insurance costs.
- ELKEM METALS, INC., Moon Township, PA 1990 - 2003
Benefits Specialist 1999 - 2003
Responsible for benefits plan development, implementation, administration and management of health and welfare, and 401(k) plans for 647 bargaining and non-bargaining employees and 965 retirees for North American Division. Additional responsibilities included providing system support and training related to benefits and compensation issues, management of company recognition programs, and serving on Benefits Planning Committee.
* Delivered optimum level of customer service to employees and retirees with high level of accuracy and timeliness, by developing procedures to eliminate complaints, while assuring benefit programs were fully compliant with ERISA, federal, state and local regulations.
* Instrumental in successful transfer of Corporate Benefits/Human Resources Department from Marietta, OH to Pittsburgh, PA and continued to improve day-to-day activities without interruption.
* Managed 401(k) plan valued at $34 million according to DOL and IRS regulations to include nondiscrimination testing, audits, employee education and day-to-day operations.
* Successfully merged two separate 401(k) plans for hourly and salaried employees, reducing administrative costs by 50%.
* Integrated acquisition's 401(k) plan by streamlining and automating funding process, eliminating delays and excessive costs.
* Developed report structure to accurately record benefit values for self-reporting to insurance companies ensuring correct payment and coverage.
* Participated in negotiation of service agreements with insurance carriers, brokers, and financial institutions ensuring best fit and value to organization and employees.
* Developed procedures for communications with plant benefits administrators and carriers ensuring uniformity.
- Office Manager 1997 - 1999
Responsible for providing and coordinating benefits, human resources, and communication services; managing building facilities, travel services and equipment negotiations. Supported President of North American Division consisting of 865 employees, with annual sales of $400 million, providing administrative services in efficient, timely, and cost effective manner, significantly improving executive's productivity. Served as communications liaison with Oslo global headquarters. Supervised full-time employee and temporary staff.
* Coordinated and resolved benefits, human resources, and payroll issues for Pittsburgh location.
* Interviewed and selected permanent, contract, and temporary employees ensuring proper fit with organizational needs.
* Prepared and managed two departmental budgets of $1.1 million each, reducing expenses by 15%.
* Managed relocation of North American corporate headquarters under budget and with minimal disruption.
* Developed policies and procedures for North American corporate policy manual creating standardization across all lines of business.
- Executive Secretary and Executive/Administrative Specialist 1990 - 1997
Twice awarded promotions with increasing responsibility for providing administrative services to President and departments including Human Resources, Sales/Marketing, and Traffic.
* Increased contributions to United Way campaign by leading and developing unique fund raising strategies.
* Negotiated and organized computer training for company personnel increasing productivity by 33%.
Area of Expertise/Research
- Employee benefits, retirement plans & wellness.