Kirstyn M. Kameg, DNP
Professor of Nursing (Nursing)
412-397-6810 phone (M)
John Jay 315
- Doctor of Nursing Practice, Nursing, Case Western Reserve University, 2008
- Certificate, Family Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, Rush University, 2011
- Master of Science in Nursing, Adult Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, University of Pittsburgh, 2000
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing, University of Pittsburgh, 1998
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Education
- Maintain a private practice as a Family Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Area of Expertise/Research
- Simulation as a teaching methodology in psychiatric mental health nursing
- Anxiety Disorders
- Eating Disorders
Szpak, J.L. & Kameg, K. (2011). Simulation decreases nursing student anxiety prior to communication with mentally ill patients. Clinical Simulation in Nursing. (in press).
Howard, V.M., Englert, N., Kameg, K., & Perozzi, K. (2011). Integration of simulation across the undergraduate curriculum: Student and faculty perspectives. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 7(1), e1-e10.
Mitchell, A.M., Kameg, K., & Founds, S. (2010). An overview of opiate use during pregnancy: An evidence-based approach to treatment, Minerva Psichiatrica, 51, 271-80.
Kameg, K., Clochesy, J., Howard, V., Mitchell, A.M., & Suresky, J. (2010). Impact of high fidelity human simulation on self-efficacy of communication skills. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 31(5), 315-23.
Kameg. K., Mitchell, A.M., Clochesy, J., Howard, V., & Suresky, J. (2009). Communication and human patient simulation in psychiatric nursing. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 30(8), 503-508.
Zalice-Kameg, K., Perozzi, K.J., & Howard, V. (2008). Methamphetamine: abuse, pregnancy, and treatment considerations. Women’s Health Care: A Practical Journal for Nurse Practitioners 7(9) 26-33.
Hogan, M.A., Gaylord, C., Gruener., Rodgers, J., & Zalice-Kameg, K. (Eds.). (2008). Mental Health Nursing: Reviews & Rationales (2nd ed.). Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
Perozzi, K.J., Zalice-Kameg, K., Howard, V., & Skariot, L.N. (2007). HSV: What you need to know to care for your pregnant patient. MCN: The American Journal of Maternal/Child Nursing, 32(6), 345-350.
Zalice-Kameg, K., Perozzi, K.J., & Locasto, L.W. (2006). Opiate/opioid addiction in pregnancy: comprehensive overview. Women’s Health Care: A Practical Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 5(1), 24-33.
Mitchell, A.M., Sakraida, T.J., & Zalice-Kameg, K. (2005). Disaster care: Psychological considerations. Nursing Clinics of North America, 40(3), 535-550.
Zalice-Kameg, K. & Mitchell, A.M. (2005). Increasing nurse practitioner awareness: psychological and psychosocial issues in the care of the transplant patient. The American Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 9(6), 9-18.
Mitchell, A.M., Sakraida, T.J., & Zalice-Kameg, K. (2005). Effectiveness of psychological debriefings for the prevention of post-traumatic stress disorder. In Melnyk, B.M. & Fineout-Overholt (Eds.), Evidence-based practice in nursing & healthcare: a guide to best practice. (pp. 39-49). Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.
Kameg, K.M., Mitchell, A.M., & Chmielewski, J. (2003). Recognizing and managing eating disorders in primary care. The American Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 7(6), 9-17.
Mitchell, A.M., Sakraida, T.J., & Kameg, K. (2003). Critical incident stress debriefing: implications for best practice. Disaster Management and Response, 1(2), 46-51.
Mitchell, A.M., Kameg, K., & Sakraida, T.J. (2003). Post-traumatic stress: clinical implications. Disaster Management and Response, 1(1) 14-18.
Mitchell, A.M., Hoffman, R.L., Zalice-Kameg, K., & Chmielewski, J.U. (2003). Psychological and psychosocial issues and care in the transplant patient. In E. Soeda (Ed.), Organ Transplant Nursing, (pp.88-94). Tokyo, Japan:Gakken Publishing.
Mitchell, A.M., Sakraida, T.J., & Kameg, K. (2002). Overview of post-traumatic stress. Disaster Management and Response, Premier issue, 10-14.
- 2012 - Depression and Anxiety Management in the Primary Care Setting
Laurel Highlands Nurse Practitioner Association Conference
- 2012 - Eating Disorders: Management Issues in the Primary Care Setting
7th Annual Nita Lewis Pharmacology Update
Advanced Practices Nurses of the Upper Ohio Valley
- 2011 - Psychopharmacological Management in the Primary Care Setting
Robert Morris University Annual Preceptor Conference
Moon Township, PA
- 2011 - Fusion of Psychiatric and Medical High Fidelity Simulation Scenarios: Effect on Student Knowledge and Retention of Knowledge
Greater Pittsburgh 23rd Annual Nursing Research Conference
- 2011 - Simulation in Nursing Education: Exploring Generational Differences
International Meeting on Simulation in Health Care
New Orleans, LA
International poster presentation
- 2010 - Impact of High Fidelity Simulation on Nursing Students? Self-Efficacy of Communication Skills
Drexel?s Simulation in Healthcare Conference
Fort Lauderdale, FL
- 2010 - Overview of Differential Diagnosis and Management of Eating Disorders
Southwestern PA Nurse Practitioner Organization
- 2009 - Impact of High Fidelity Simulation on Self-Efficacy of Communication Skills
Greater Pittsburgh 21st Annual Nursing Research Conference
Moon Township, PA
- 2009 - The Effect of Human Patient Simulation on Nursing Students? Self-Efficacy of Communication Skills
Mosby?s Faculty Development Institute Conference
Peer-Reviewed Poster Presentation
- 2006 - Use of High Fidelity Patient Simulators to Assist with the Development of Communication Skills in Psychiatric Nursing
American Psychiatric Nurses Association
Long Beach, CA
- 2002 - The Spectrum of Adolescent Eating Disorders: Key Issues in Management
Psychiatric Nursing Update: Current Issues in Treatment
- 2002 - Eating Disorders and Adolescents
University of Pittsburgh Nursing Horizons Conference
Schedule of Courses
Schedule Book for All Active and Available Future Terms, Kameg, Kirstyn M
Fall 2013: Doctorate
|NURS9210-A||07:00-09:50 PM|| R||M||Kameg||13 (08/26-12/14/13)||6 Seats
|NURS9215-A||-||APPT||M||Kameg||13 (08/26-12/14/13)||7 Seats
|NURS9230-A||-||APPT||M||Kameg||13 (08/26-12/14/13)||9 Seats
|NURS9951-D||-||APPT||M||Kameg||13 (08/26-12/14/13)||0 Seats
Spring 2014: Doctora
|NURS9310-A||05:30-08:30 PM|| R||M||Kameg||11 (01/13-05/03/14)||6 Seats
|NURS9315-A||-||APPT||M||Kameg||11 (01/13-05/03/14)||6 Seats
|NURS9340-A||-||APPT||M||Kameg||11 (01/13-05/03/14)|| Seats